Sunday, October 04, 2009

Nice Night



Well, I had a fun evening. I actually took a nap and overslept, so when I did get up, I was so groggy, I considered not going to an opening at a photo gallery that I had gotten an invite for. But I powered through, got dolled up and went. The photographer was Ken Heyman. I wasn't sure if I had seen his work before, but I liked the photo on the postcard, so I thought there would probably be something there I would like.

So with only a half hour before the reception was going to close, I arrived and, at first, rushed through the work. However, after checking out a few photographs, I instantly fell in love with Mr. Heyman's work. I then saw, probably, his most famous photo, which is Marilyn Monroe with Arthur Miller on the day they got married. But as great as a photo that is, I really fell in love with his street photography. What I also loved about the show was the detailed descriptions he gave for most of his pieces. He wrote in a very down-to-earth tone, while offering tips to achieve similar results with one's own attempts at photographing. I can't say enough how much I enjoyed this show. Really fabulous stuff.

Because I had gotten there so late, I had almost missed speaking with Mr. Heyman, but like a bonafied stalker, I waited at the entrance of the parking garage, where he was parked, hoping to catch him before he left. I was successful and got him to sign my book! Yay!

So, I went to celebrate at Almalfi's, a restaurant David and I frequent, where I happened to bump into my neighbor. We ended up hanging out at the bar, watching baseball on the TV.

OK - things to be grateful for:

photography
hair dryers
lip gloss
cushions
blankets

(Sort of a weird list, I know.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home